Crozes Hermitage is a wine appellation located in the northern Rhône region of France. The appellation is named after the town of Crozes Hermitage, which is situated on...
Crozes Hermitage is a wine appellation located in the northern Rhône region of France. The appellation is named after the town of Crozes Hermitage, which is situated on the left bank of the Rhône River. The history of wine production in this region dates back to the Roman era, and the appellation has been recognized since 1937.
The style of production in Crozes Hermitage is heavily influenced by the terroir of the region. The vineyards are situated on the slopes of the Hermitage hill, which is composed of granite and limestone soils. The climate is continental, with hot summers and cold winters, and the mistral wind plays a significant role in shaping the character of the wines.
The primary grape variety grown in Crozes Hermitage is Syrah, which accounts for over 90% of the plantings. The remaining 10% is split between Marsanne and Roussanne, which are used to produce white wines. The Syrah grapes grown in this region are known for their intensity and complexity, with flavors of blackberry, blackcurrant, and spice.
The typical wines produced in Crozes Hermitage are red wines made from Syrah grapes. These wines are known for their deep color, full body, and complex aromas. They are often aged in oak barrels, which adds a layer of complexity to the wine. The white wines produced in this region are made from Marsanne and Roussanne grapes and are known for their floral aromas and flavors of honey and apricot.
In conclusion, Crozes Hermitage is a wine appellation with a rich history and a unique style of production. The region's terroir, climate, and grape varieties all contribute to the character of the wines produced here. The red wines made from Syrah grapes are particularly noteworthy, with their intense flavors and complex aromas. The white wines made from Marsanne and Roussanne grapes are also worth exploring, with their floral aromas and fruity flavors. Overall, Crozes Hermitage is a must-visit destination for wine lovers who appreciate the art of winemaking.