learn more about
The history of Chateau Palmer dates back to the 18th century when the Gasq family, a very old family of Bordeaux parliamentarians, ensured the reputation of its wines. In 1814 the property and sold it to the English general Charles Palmer who triples the size of the vineyard and puts himself in serious financial difficulties which forced him to part with the estate now known by his name since the 1830s. The brothers Isaac and Emile Peireire, influential bankers, bought Palmer in 1853, shortly before its classification as a 3rd cru in 1855.
1938 a group of 4 large international families of Bordeaux merchants bought Palmer, the Ginestets, Mihailhe, Mähler-Besse and Sichel. These last two families are now the owners.
The estate produces 2 AOC Margaux wines: Château Palmer and, since 1998, a "great" second wine, Alter Ego.